Building the Sustainable Organization – 8 Structuring & 9 Behavioral Opportunities (Part 2)
Sustainability techniques fall into two categories; Structure and Behavior (See the prior post for the structural opportunities)
Part 2: Behavioral changes supporting new tools, procedures and processes
- Modeling the expected behaviors at the management and leadership levels.
- Introducing the changes in meetings, presentations and handouts, then involving the person in determining HOW he/she will perform the new way of doing work.
- Sharing the big picture to help others understand the reason for the changes.
- Asking for volunteers to assume accountability for intentional application of the new behavior applied to the work to be completed.
- Reinforce and provide positive and constructive feedback for appropriate use or application of the behavior from superiors and peers.
- Specific coaching, feedback and recognition for use or non-use of behaviors expected and agreed to on a daily basis.
- Practicing new behaviors as they apply to changes in application examples and role plays.
- Linking new behaviors to existing or new Values expected for all employees.
- MBWA (Management By Wandering Around) to catch people doing things the new way and reinforce them or coach them for improvement.
What additional ideas do you have?