We all want to enjoy our jobs, so let’s begin by carving out some time for doing the enjoyable portion of our jobs that we never seem to have time for anymore.
Let’s start where we are since it puts us right in the middle of the daily chaos and could begin our learning about how to get out of it, as well.
Tactical Prioritization: (A first step to getting control of your day)
- Stick a 3M note above your screen and on it write, “A-B-C 1-2-3”.
- As mail, email, paper and requests come to you, categorize them as A, B or C. Write the letter directly on the item if it is physical. Capture a bulleted list of the A’s and B’s.
- Then, within each category, prioritize each item as a 1, 2 or 3.
- You should then have a list of A1’s, A2’s, B1’s, B2’s, etc. by category and priority.
- Place the C’s in a drawer and touch them only after the A’s and B’s are completed.
- Work your list from the A1’s to the A2’s, … into the B category starting with B1, B2, etc.
Next blog: What criteria for deciding whether it is an A-B-C 1-2-3 do I use?Read More